If you want to dynamically set a static member (i.e. read it from a database or file), you can make use of a static constructor. Here are some interesting notes about static constructors:
- The static constructor runs before any instance constructors run.
- Static constructors don’t take an access modifier and can’t take parameters.
- Static constructors execute only one time, no matter how many instances are created.
- Static constructors get called when an instance of the class is created or before the first static member of the class is accessed.
- A class or structure can define only 1 static constructor.